Pages

February 28, 2013

The World's Most Cherrished Little Song Is Backed By A Big Story!


Anna Bartlett Warner and her sister Susan were the daughters of an important New York lawyer who lost his fortune during the depression in 1837.

 
Warner decided to move his family across the Hudson River across from West Point to an old farm house. The sisters held sunday school class in their home for the cadets of West Point. The sister desired to add to the family income by writing novels and children's books.

Together the sisters wrote 18 books, among one of those books was, Say and Seal. This is where we find the cherrished little song “Jesus Loves Me”! Written by Anna it first appeared in 1859. In this book Say and Seal a character comforts a dying child by singing Jesus loves me.

Later Anna published “Jesus Loves Me” as a hymn in her first hymn book.

In 1862 a man by the name of William B. Bradbury came across this song and wrote his own tune that we are so familiar with today! He also added his own chorus: “Yes, Jesus loves me, Yes, Jesus loves me.” Eventually this song was known across North America and across the world.

After more than a century “Jesus Loves Me” became the number one spiritual song in the world. It has been translated in more languages than any other song.



Jesus Loves Me




Jesus loves me this I know

for the bible tells me so

little ones to him belong

they are weak, but he is strong!



Jesus loves me loves me still

tho I'm very weak and ill

that I might from sin be free

bled and died upon the tree!



Jesus loves me this I know

As he loved so long ago

taking children on his knee

saying, let them come to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment