Pages

September 16, 2011

My First Attempt at Canning!

I'm realizing that I  have a pattern each year of learning a new homemaking skill or craft. In the past I have attempted to sew (that did not go so well) have done card making, scrapbooking, homemade soap, cake decorating, and now canning! I recently found an interest in canning because their has been such a rage over couponing, I thought, well,  if I can get a deal on fruits and veggies I can preserve my excess. I am also a new homeschooling mom and thought what better time to learn than now and involve my children in learning the art of canning! Below I will share the steps I took in canning my first recipe of Apple Butter!


You will need:
Crock pot
Deep pan (for boiling water)
Jar Lifter
Half Pint Mason Jars
25-30 Apples
Cinnamon
Clove Powder
Measuring Cup
Sugar
Apple Slicer
Cutting Board
Blender

First you will need to turn on your crock pot and begin to heat it up.I set my crock pot for 10 hours. I only have setting for 10, 8, 4 hours and keep warm. I would keep on low just to be safe!

Begin slicing 20 apples and place in your crock pot. There is no need to peel the skin off it will cook down and be blended in. Cook for 10 hours.


My daughter Savannah attempting to cut the apples.

Once your apples have cooked and are soft go ahead and add the remaining apples.


Do not forget to add sugar and spices. I never measure when it comes to spices I guesstimate by taste. If you need a measurement start with 2 tbs of cinnamon, 2 tbs of clove powder and 2 cups of sugar.

 Cook for at least 24 hours. Your apples will look like applesauce but nice and brown. Pour your apple mixture into a blender and blend until smooth. You will then pour your apple butter back into your slow cooker. Continue to cook with the lid off. Your apple butter needs to evaporate the rest of it's liquid to the desired texture.


 Once you have the desired consistency turn off your crock pot. Begin to boil water in a deep pan with a rack on the bottom. Once your water begins to boil place your empty jars only into the water to sterilize. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove your jar with a jar lifter. I only had tongs but I do not recommend this! Carefully spoon your hot apple butter into jar. Apple butter needs to be hot when placing in a hot jar.  This prevents breakage when placed in boiling water to seal. Leave a little space in the jar at the top. This allows the air pressure to seal properly when cooled.


Once you have apple butter in jar place lid on jar and tighten. You will then place your jar carefully into boiling water. The wax on the lid will seal to the jar. Keep in water for a good couple minutes. Remove with lifter and place on a towel to cool. Do not touch or jiggle jar. The pressure inside the jar will seal when cooled down. Once your jar has cooled your lid should be sealed properly! See that wasn't so hard!

I had alot of fun! I can not wait to experiment with more recipes. I made 4 jars from this batch. This would make great gifts for the holidays. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment