Pages

August 22, 2011

Homeschooling Day 1

I have to admit I have been a little nervous stepping into home education this school year. During the previous school year God had been preparing our heart as a couple toward the idea of home education. It's not an easy decision considering we are stepping away from a great Private school! I believe and have faith though, that at this time, this is what God has for our family. As a mom though, I have doubts of if I'm good enough, will I be able to explain concepts in a way my children will understand, will they succeed academically. The night before school, I decided to read in the book of Jeremiah. I came across Jeremiah 1: 6-7 Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child.  But the LORD said unto me, Say not, I am a child: for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak.
At that moment I was face to face with my Lord and he was telling me "Mitsy, I have called you to this and I will be your strength." I just love when  God can be so clear!

So here we are day 1 of homeschooling. Today went very well. I am a very detailed, schedule oriented person so I made a schedule  for every 30 minutes starting at 8am - 2pm what we would be doing, whether that includes lunch or nap time for baby it was on the schedule! I'm happy to say we stuck very close to it ,actually we came out about 15minutes ahead of schedule.

We started our day with daily routines that include The Pledge, the month we are in and the day, and the weather. Next we had bible together reading of when Jesus was a young boy and his trip to the temple going about his fathers business. Savannah started on her phonics learning to recognize the letter "I" and the sound, while Chloe & Eli independently worked on their spelling. Eli began reading about Christopher Columbus and Chloe will be memorizing the American's Creed.
We look forward to our first homeschool outing this Friday. We will be attending a back to school pool party at GT Bray.

Well this year is a new year of sew much fun is what my bulletin board says! (and yes it is spelled "sew" on purpose. I have buttons and a sewing needle on my board.)
We look forward to learning new things, building stronger relationships as a family, meeting new friends and going on the field trip of the year Sea World!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment